Sunday, January 10, 2010

Originally posted 1/3/2010
So much for heeding my own words! I was out for a run with my wife and a friend this morning. It was 19 with a wind chill of -3 degrees when we left. I was dressed well, cool but not cold, and warmed up quite nicely as we got into the run. We were cruising along the Battlefields in Manassas, frozen tundra underfoot. The trees did a wonderful job of blocking the wind. I knew I would be at a slight disadvantage during the run, being a southern boy hanging with two New Englanders in the cold, but they took it easy on me. Then it happened. I was leading the others, using my “big” body to block the wind across a field. Like a mountain lion (or some other fleet footed critter) I was deftly avoiding the copious patches of ice and showing the way for my compatriots. My foot hit what I determined to be a very thin ice floe, it looked like a little puddle frozen over, and I foolishly presumed it would break under my weight. (Tip #1: Never assume ice will break under your weight) It did not. Before I knew it, I found myself landing on the ground and rolling in a thud, hoping to not get trampled by my closely following running partners! Luckily, I seem to be very adept at falling, and I managed to roll through it and bounce back up like the seasoned pro I am. (Tip #2: If you DO fall, let your body fall as naturally as possible, but remembering to protect your head) A couple of tentative steps and a system check later and all seemed to be well. Some bruises tomorrow for sure, but nothing overly dramatic. Running this time of year in these conditions is always a little extra rough on your body, but hopefully I won’t be too much worse for the wear tomorrow.

I am a coach. Just last week I remember giving a good, concise list of tips for winter weather running. The moral of today’s story? Do as I say, and hopefully not as I just did! With all the snows and thaws, freezing rain and whipping winds, the landscape is in a constant state of flux. Watch your footing carefully, the ground is hard when it’s this cold out and what looks like a previous travelers footprints do not always make a good path to follow…they will not squish and conform to your footfall. Just like the puddle that did not break. Oh yeah, and if you do fall, then treat yourself to a nice post-run bath with some Epsom salts for your aching muscles. And don’t be afraid to laugh at yourself – these are the war wounds we wear as dedicated runners…you better believe anyone bundled up and warm on a day like today who saw you going out for a run is laughing their butts off at how crazy you are!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment